When my husband I heard that the Kendrick Brothers, the award-winning team behind War Room and Courageous, were releasing a new movie titled “Overcomer”, we knew we had to see it.
We made a date night of it, having dinner first, with a group of friends then all heading to the theater to see the movie. It did not disappoint and I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a dry eye in the house (mine, included).
The movie is based on the story of a basketball coach, the school principal and an unlikely, troubled, teenage runner.
When the school loses funding for coach Harrison’s basketball team (Alex Kendrick), he is challenged by the school’s principal, Olivia (Priscilla Shirer), to coach a new sport he doesn’t know or like: track. “As John questions his own worth, he dares to help the least likely runner take on the biggest race of the year.”
The movie is powerful, funny and heartwarming. It is also inspirational and will refuel your fire for God and all He has done for you.
Overcomer is the #1 Inspirational Family Film of 2019 and scored an almost unheard of 98% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.
Recently, I learned that the Overcomer DVD would be released and I had a list of friends and family who I knew would love this movie as a gift. I was excited!
When I had the opportunity to receive a “swag box” to celebrate the Overcomer DVD release, I was in!
Here’s a short video of my unboxing the “swag box” and all of the goodies inside.
Of course, I love the Overcomer DVD and the soundtrack that was included, but I was particularly thrilled about the mug (I mean, I could literally write ON the mug reminders of who God says I am – who doesn’t need a reminder of that now and again?). I also loved the candle, which now sits on my desk and the prayer journal. Of course, I use a war binder, most days, but having a prayer journal that is front and center on my desk is a great way for me to write down prayer requests, confess my heart and remember how He has answered prayer.
So, back to the movie (can you tell that I LOVED it?). This is the third film from the Kendrick brothers that earned a rare A+ CinemaScore®. If it is a movie by the Kendrick Brothers, you KNOW it’s going to be amazing. It is rated PG – perfect for the whole family.
The movie stars Priscilla Shirer, (yes, THAT Priscilla Shirer of WAR ROOM, I CAN ONLY IMAGINE and countless books, Bible studies and amazing teaching), Shari Rigby (also seen in OCTOBER BABY, WILDFLOWER), Cameron Arnett (of MEET THE BROWNS, STAND YOUR GROUND) and a newcomer to the film industry Aryn Wright-Thompson. (Who absolutely was made for this role!).
The Blu-ray, DVD and digital release come with an extensive array of bonus material, including 10 minutes of extended and deleted scenes, fun bloopers, exclusive commentary by the Kendrick Brothers, moving in-depth looks at the power of forgiveness, identity and more.
A special Kendrick Brothers Six Movie DVD Gift Set is also exclusively available at Walmart this Christmas season. The set contains fan-favorite films OVERCOMER, WAR ROOM, COURAGEOUS, FIREPROOF, FACING THE GIANTS, and FLYWHEEL.
To get a copy of the Overcomer DVD, visit the Overcomer Movie website.
Check out all of the bonuses included in the Overcomer DVD and Blu-Ray discs:
BLU-RAY AND DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE BONUS MATERIALS
● The Heart of Overcomer: See how the heart of Overcomer is grounded in personal growth, faith and identity.
● Creating the Opening Drone Shot: See how the stunning opening drone shot of the film was realized with a lot of ingenuity and a well-organized crew.
● Working with the Kendricks: Watch how Alex, Stephen and Shannon Kendrick found their path to filmmaking through authenticity and faith.
● Looks Behind-the-Scenes of: Editing, Composing, Coloring and Sound Design
● “Enough” (Lyric Video) Featuring Koryn Hawthorne
● Don’t Mess with the Editors: Check out what the editors of Overcomer created on the side for a little fun.
BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL
● Feature Audio Commentary with Director Alex Kendrick and Producer Stephen Kendrick
● Bloopers & Outtakes
● 10 Minutes of Additional Scenes with an introduction from the Kendrick Brothers.
● The Making of Overcomer: Learn about how the crew worked together with faith and prayer to create this incredible film.
● The Theme of Identity: In this piece the cast and crew discuss what the theme of identity means to them.
● The Power of Forgiveness: Describes why forgiveness is such an important theme of this film.
● “Overcomer” (Lip Sync Music Video) Featuring Mandisa
● Overcomer in 60 Seconds: a quick fun film recap.
● Overcomer Resources Video: Learn more about accompanying resources to help you grow in faith.
#overcomermovie and #TellingMinistries
Did you see the movie? What did you think? Tell me in the comments. Are you gifting the Overcomer DVD to anyone this year?
Because of Him,